News & Announcements
Prof. Uysal-Biyikoglu is currently on the Technical Programme Commitees of: The First Workshop on the Age of Information (in conjunction with IEEE INFOCOM 2018), IEEE INFOCOM 2018, IEEE WiOpt 2018. She is an associate editor for the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking and the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication.
SPRING 2018 TEACHING:
EE532: Communication Network Analysis: A course on the most current analytical tools for the design of data networks. EE531 or equivalent knowledge of discrete stochastic processes is strongly recommended.
EE533: Information Theory: The future of networks will be data-driven and application-centric. This course teaches the fundamental tools for quantifying the information carried by the data, and efficient ways to transmit it.
Ph. D: Stanford University; S.M.: Massachusetts Institute of Technology; B.S, METU
- Age of Information, data freshness, with applications to Machine Type Communication ( To follow the fast growing literature on AoI see Dr. Yin Sun's page. )
- Energy efficient communication, energy harvesting communication networks
- Scheduling and Resource Allocation
R. Devassy, G. Durisi, G. C. Ferrante, O. Simeone and E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, Delay and Peak-Age Violation Probability in Short-Packet Transmissions, in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2018.
- T. Bacinoglu, Y. Sun, E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, and F. M. Mutlu, Achieving the Age-Energy Tradeoff with a Finite-Battery Energy Harvesting Source, in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2018.
- Hakan Sac, Tan Bacinoglu, Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu and Giuseppe Durisi, "Age-optimal channel coding blocklength for an M/G/1 queue with HARQ", Invited paper, IEEE SIGNAL PROCESSING ADVANCES IN WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS (SPAWC) 2018, June 25-28, Kalamata, Greece.
- Canberk Sonmez, Sajjad Baghaee, Abdussamed Ergisi and Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Age-of-Information in Practice: Status Age Measured over TCP/IP Connections through WiFi, Ethernet and LTE", in IEEE BlackSeaCom, 2018.
- Hasan Burhan Beytur and E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Minimizing Age of Information for Multiple Flows", in IEEE BlackSeaCom, 2018.
- Egemen Sert, Canberk Sönmez, Sajjad Baghaee and Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Optimizing Age of Information on Real-Life TCP/IP Connections through Reinforcement Learning", in IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Applications (SIU), 2018.
- Hasan Burhan Beytur and E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Minimizing Age of Information on Multi-Flow Networks", in IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Applications (SIU), 2018.
T. Bacinoglu, O. Kaya and E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Energy Efficient Transmission Scheduling for Channel-adaptive Wireless Energy Transfer", IEEE WCNC, April 2018.
Yin Sun, Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu, and Sastry Kompella, ``Age-Optimal Updates of Multiple Information Flows”, 1st Workshop on the Age of Information (AoI Workshop), Honolulu, HI, April 2018. [Technical Report]
Igor Kadota, Abhishek Sinha, Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu, Rahul Singh, and Eytan Modiano, Scheduling Policies for Minimizing Age of Information in Broadcast Wireless Networks, submitted to IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2018.
Yin Sun, Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu, Roy Yates, C. Emre Koksal, and Ness Shroff, "Update or Wait: How to Keep Your Data Fresh," in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 63, no.11, 2017. pp: 7492 - 7508.
T. Bacinoglu, E. Uysal-Biyikoglu , C. E. Koksal, “Finite Horizon Energy-Efficient Scheduling with Energy Harvesting Transmitters over Fading Channels”, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication”, Vol. 16, no. 9, pp: 6105 –6118, 2017.
T. Bacinoglu and E. Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Scheduling Status Updates to Minimize Age of Information with an Energy Harvesting Sensor", IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), Aachen, Germany, June 27, 2017.
Yin Sun, Yury Polyanskiy, and Elif Uysal-Biyikoglu, "Remote Estimation of the Wiener Process over a Channel with Random Delay", IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), Aachen, Germany, June 27, 2017.
- A Akman, F Ozelik, E Uysal-Biyikoglu, C Kement, "Energy Harvesting Communication System", Patent Registration no. 2013 01138 (Turkey), May 21, 2015.
Selected invited presentations:
"Age-optimal Threshold Policies for an Energy Harvesting Sensor", SPAWC 2018 Invited Session on Age of Information (19th IEEE Int. Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications), Kalamata, Greece, 25-28 June, 2018.
- "Scheduling Status Updates from a Sensor to Minimize the Age of Information at the Destination", presented at the Foundations of Wireless Networking Workshop at Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany, July 3, 2017.
- Age-Optimal Status Updating with an Energy Harvesting Sender, Information Theory and Applications Workshop, University of California San Diego, February 13, 2017.
- “Lazy Schedules for Freshest Data and Optimal Use of Renewable Energy in Networks”, Micro and Nano Technology Lab, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Sept 30, 2016.
- "Energy Harvesting Networks”, Northeastern University, Boston, April 23, 2016.
- AGELESS: Scheduling Policies with Age as Objective”, ITA 2016, Information Theory and Applications Workshop, University of California San Diego, February 5, 2016.
- “Age_of information: controlling the freshness of status updates under energy constraints”, Keynote, The Gelenbe Symposium, Imperial College, London. September 21, 2015.
- “When to Update Data”, LIDS, MIT, October 2015.
Awards & Grants
- Young Scientist Prize Scholarship, The Science Academy (Turkey), 2014-2016
- IEEE Senior Member, 2014
- IBM Faculty Award, 2011
- TUBITAK Kariyer Research Grant (2007-2009.)
- NSF Foundations of Communication Research Grant (2006-2009.)
- Runner up for best paper, INFOCOM 2001.
- First place in the EE Ph.D. Quals at Stanford University, among 144 candidates (1999.)
- Stanford Graduate Fellow (1999-2003.)
- MIT Vinton Hayes Fellow (1997-1998.)
- NATO Science Fellow (1997, scholarship not used)
- Ranked 1 in the graduating class of 1997 of the Middle East Technical University
- Bulent Kerim Altay Prize, awarded 6 times by METU EE Dept. (1994-1997.)
- First place in the nationwide University Entrance Examination (OYS) in Turkey, among 750,000 entrants (1993.)
Dr. Uysal-Biyikoglu is a professor of Electrical Engineering at METU, where she has been on the faculty since 2006. She received the Ph.D. degree in EE from Stanford University in 2003, the S.M. degree in EECS from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1999 and the B.S. degree as valedictorian from METU in 1997. From 2003-05 she was at MIT as a lecturer. From 2005-06 she was an assistant professor at the Ohio State University, and later an adjunct professor at the same institution. She held visiting positions at MIT and Ohio State in 2014-1016.