Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am an irregular student, can I have my summer practice?

A: EE 300: There are two conditions. 1- At the time you have registered for EE 300 course, you have to be a 3rd-year student. (Prior to your EE 300 registration, you should have at least 4 semesters with CGPA equal to 2.00 or higher) 2- You should have a passing grade from half of the EE courses given in the second year. Provided that you satisfy these conditions, you can have your EE 300 summer practice.

EE 400: There are two conditions. 1- At the time you have registered for EE 400 course, you have to be a 4th-year student. (Prior to your EE 400 registration, you should have at least 6 semesters with CGPA equal to 2.00 or higher) 2- You should have a passing grade from half of the EE courses given in the third year. Provided that you satisfy these conditions, you can have your EE 300 summer practice.

Q: Can I have my SP abroad?

A: Yes, it is possible. 

a. You can have your SP through Erasmus program. Please examine Erasmus office web page for details. Short duration SP’s (3 months) conducted through this program counts for either EE 300 or EE 400 course. Longer practices may be used to fulfil both EE300 and EE400 requirements.


b. You can also have your SP at any company or research centre satisfying the requirements of EEMB summer practice rules.

Q: Can I have my SP at a university centre/laboratory/facility?

A: The practices conducted at universities which are located abroad are accepted for EE300/400. SP’s at the universities in Turkey are not allowed. 

Q: I am taking courses in summer school. It is not possible for me to work for 20 days continuously. Can I split 20 days of SP into 2 such as 10 days before the summer school and 10 days after?

A: The SP needs to be conducted in 20 consecutive workdays. You can not split your SP in two parts, except for obligations due to long national holidays, company summer breaks, etc. If you would like to do your SP and attend the summer school the same year, you need to carefully plan your SP so that either it ends before the summer school or starts after it.

Q: Can I have my SP during winter break? (break between fall and spring semesters, usually in February)

A: If you can prove that you are at a graduating position at the end of the next spring semester, you can have your SP in the winter break, that is the last semester break before your graduation. You have to inform and get the approval of the SP committee before conducting such a practice. Unless there is an extraordinary circumstance, the summer practices can not be conducted in winter breaks and the summer practice reports are not evaluated.

Q: Do I have to work on a project during SP? What is usually done in an SP? I am not working on a project, what can I do?

A: The work of SP is related to the company you have joined for SP:

If you are working at a research lab, and if you can participate in a research project; you can indeed report your work related to this project. But it is not required to have a project to write your SP report.

If you are working at a manufacturing facility and if you are given a duty related to the daily work conducted in the company; you are required to report that work. If it is not possible for you to attend the production part of the daily work (such as a plant with automated systems) then report what you have learned and seen and how the manufacturing process works.

If you are working at test, repair facility; report the engineering work done at the facility.

If the work done in the facility is different from these typical ones, then apply the golden rule and report what you have seen, learned and done related to the engineering process and workflow.

Q: Is it mandatory that the company has at least two EE engineers in the company for SP?

A: Yes. The company in which you work should have at least two EE engineers working on the topics related to EE. The work of the engineers can be conducting engineering work or leading/planning the work of other engineers. But the most fundamental requirement is that having at least two EE engineers in the company. If the company is not doing any work related to engineering, that is if the engineers are not doing any work related to engineering than that company is not suitable for SP.

Q: Can I have both summer practices at the same company?

A: Two summer practices can not be on the same topic at the same company. Under some circumstances (please contact Summer Practice Committee if you have to do such a practice) 20+20 days of summer practice can be allowed. You can submit two reports one for EE300 and one for EE400 to EEMB student affairs office. If two reports are closely related, you can submit a single report; but you should clearly mention that a single report is prepared to satisfy the requirements of both EE300 and EE400 on the cover page.


Q: Should I write the SP report after the SP?
A: No. You submit your SP report no later than the 2nd week of the term to which you registered for your SP. For this reason, you should complete your report before this date. Also, you may forget many useful information, experience if you don’t write it down during your SP. We highly suggest you write your report during your SP because you should include detailed information about the practical/technical/theoretical practices.

Q: Is SP duration limited to 20 days?
A: The minimum requirement is 20 working days. If you work more that is also fine but your report should cover at least 20 days of your work.

Q: What is the official title of Summer Practice work?

A: It may sound funny but this is a valid question. SP work is officially named as "elektrik-elektronik-bilgisayar mühendisliği stajı" which is "electric-electronics-computer engineering practice".

Q: Can I shorten the duration of my SP by working on Saturdays also?

A: You should complete at least 20 workdays to validate your SP. If the company is open on Saturdays too and if you attend, these also count as work days.

Q: I am doing a double major. How would I do my SP? What are the rules and the processes?

A: If you are a double major student, you should complete one SP in one of your majors and second SP in the other of your major. You should register for your first SP to the department for which you completed your SP and submit your report to this department. You should register for your second SP to the other department and submit your first SP report as well as your second SP report to this department.

Q:  I started my summer practice but I realized that there is no engineering activity in the company. I could not find anything that is related to EE engineering. What should I do?
A:  Although it is very rare, there may be some engineering companies where no activity related to engineering takes place. If you started your SP in one of such companies (even if the company is in our list on our SP webpage), this means that you are in trouble! First thing you should do is to switch to another group/place/department in the same company where you can involve in an engineering activity. If you cannot find such a group/place/department in the same company then you need to look for a new company and inform us (SP committee) as soon as possible. 

Q:  SP's conducted at TAI are longer than usual. Do these practices count as two SP's fulling the requirements of both EE 300 and EE 400?
A:  No. The agreement we have with TAI allows students to have longer SP's and allows students to work at TAI for both EE 300 and EE 400. It is expected that you will be conducting two long term SP's in two consecutive years. The agreement aims to have longer than usual total SP duration for the benefit of students and the company. 

Q:  SGK Insurance: I am planning a voluntary SP which won't be submitted for EE 300/400 requirements. Do you handle the SGK insurance?

A: With the announcement dated June 17, 2011; the SGK insurance of the voluntary summer practices are also covered by the university. However, voluntary summer practices will not be evaluated by the department. More information is available here

Q: SGK Insurance: METU has covered the SGK insurance between (say) 01/Jan/01 and 01/Feb/01. Unfortunately, I can not attend this SP due to some reasons. Can you cancel or change the insurance coverage?
A: Cancelling of insurance is not possible if the cost is already paid. If your information is not submitted to Rector's office, you can always change the dates of your SP through the computer system. If it is submitted, then the insurance is already settled and there is nothing we can do.

What you can do is that you can arrange another SP for the same time period (that is 01/Jan/01 and 01/Feb/01). Your paid insurance between 01/Jan/01 and 01/Feb/01 covers you to work at any company between these days. Therefore you can arrange to have another SP in this period. If you can not arrange another SP during this time window, you are advised to cover the cost of insurance by yourself.





Son Güncelleme:
07/03/2020 - 20:57