METU EEE SUMMER PRACTICE HOMEPAGE
SP during winter break: If you are planning to do a summer practice during the winter break, please collect the following documents and email to velif-at-metu-edu-tr exactly 1 week before the beginning of your SP:
- Document certifying that you are medically eligible to physically attend your SP institution (Ögrenci muvafakatname): To be signed by you.
- Document certifying that your SP institution follows the rules established by the Ministry of Health (Kurum muvafakatname): To be signed by your SP institution. Note that some institutions may prefer to prepare their own version of the institution eligibility document. As long as these documents give the same information, they will be accepted.
- SGK insurance application file: Please fill in the required information and attach to your email in excel format.
SP report - Faculty member assignments are now available: Please login to OCW to find out which faculty member is going to evaluate your SP report. Remember that you should get registered to the EE300/EE400 course in the section of this faculty member during the add-drop week.
Information for students who will take the EE300/400 courses in the Fall semester: We kindly request you to do the following on OCW until October 20, Wednesday 23:59:
1. Fill in the "Summer Practice Evaluations" form on OCW. The purpose of this form is to take your feedback about your SP experience, where you can discuss the positive and negative aspects of your experience. Your answers will be shared in an anonymous way with other students who will do their SP in the future.
2. Fill in the "SP Report Faculty Member Assignment Questionnaire" on OCW. Your answers to this questionnaire will be used for determining the faculty member who will evaluate your SP report. Please note that you need to first submit the "Summer Practice Evaluations" form in step 1 above for the system to allow you to view and submit this second form.
Starting from the add-drop week, students are requested to do the following:
1. During the add-drop week, get registered to the EE300/EE400 course in the section of the faculty member who will grade their report.
2. During the week of November 1-5, submit their SP report and the other required documents in the following way:
- The SP evaluation form (2nd page of the SP booklet, filled in by your SP supervisor) is to be brought to the Student Affairs in a closed envelope or sent by post. Your SP supervisor can also send the SP evaluation form by email in pdf format (to serdark-at-metu-edu-tr). The document can be signed traditionally or digitally.
- The following documents will be collected online via ODTUClass: .
a. SP report in pdf format. Please make sure that the cover page of your report includes your name, your student id, the course information (EE300/EE400), the SP location, and the SP dates.
Important note: When submitting your SP report, please make sure that its Turnitin similarity score does not exceed 20%. Reports with similarity scores higher than 20% will be rejected. You may want to keep this in mind when preparing your SP report. Remember that the "company introduction" section of your report typically leads to high similarity, so you might want to limit the length of this section to a few paragraphs or one page maximum.
b. Cover page of your SP report approved by your SP supervisor (The cover page can be approved with a traditional or digital signature. Alternatively, your SP supervisor can send you an email stating that they have read and approved your SP report, which you can upload in pdf format)
c. Lifelong learning evaluation form (If this document has been provided to you in a closed envelope together with the SP evaluation form, you do not need to upload it on ODTUClass. It is enough to bring/send the closed envelope to the Student Affairs.)
d. Remote internship evaluation form (if applicable)
e. Research internship evaluation form (if applicable) (For remote research internships, one of the forms in (d) and (e) is sufficient)
Important reminder about EE300/EE400 prerequisites: Please remember that the OHS101 and OHS301 courses are prerequisites for the EE300 and EE400 courses. This means that you need to proceed in the following order: First take the OHS101 and OHS301 courses, then do your SP in the summer/winter break once you passed both of these courses, and finally take the EE300/EE400 course in the semester that follows your SP. Note that students who have done their SP but cannot get registered to EE300/EE400 because they have not taken OHS301 will need to repeat their SP.
Information for students who got payment during their SP: If you did your SP in a company in Turkey and you received payment during your SP, please read the instructions in the "Instructions for Paid Summer Practices" section below and enter your paid SP information in the OCW system.
Information for students doing an internship at EMO "EMO Genç Staj Programı": If you are planning to present your internship activities within the EE300/400 courses, we strongly recommend you to personally prepare a project / design / simulation setup related to one of the trainings you receive during the program. We hope that this will be helpful for better profiting from your training by gaining hands-on experience and also provide material for your SP report.
SGK insurance applications: The OCW system is now closed as we have reached the end of summer.
Information for students who did a SP and attended summer school this summer: Summer practices are not allowed to overlap with teaching periods in general. However, do to the difficulties arising from the pandemic this summer, overlaps have been allowed only if both conditions 1 and 2 below are satisfied:
1. If the overlap between the SP and the summer school is not more than one week.
2. a. If the SP is online, or if the hours lost due to courses can be compensated by remote working
b. If all courses taken in summer school are asynchronous and they do not prevent the student from attending the SP during daytime.
Internships in public institutions: We have been informed that from now on all public institutions in Turkey (kamu kurumlari) accept internship applications through a centralized system. Please consult this page for further information.
SP meeting video now available: You can access the slides and the video of the SP meeting on Friday, March 19 through OCW. Please login to ocw.metu.edu.tr with your usual METU account. Select the EE300/400 Summer Practice course, where the video is available under the Announcements section. The password for accessing the video is also provided below the link.
Online and research internships (2021): Due to the department board decisions taken on Friday, March 19, online internships and research internships will continue to be accepted for the EE300/400 courses this summer (2021). Please see the Department decisions due to COVID-19 section below for details.
Voluntary internships: The SGK insurance for voluntary internships is now covered again by the university.
Department decisions due to COVID-19
The following decisions have been taken by our department for internships for the summer of 2021:
1. Classical internships conducted by physically attending the work place will continue to be accepted for evaluation within the EE300/EE400 courses.
2. EE300/EE400 internships can also be conducted by remote working. Note that in this case, in addition to the “SP evaluation Form”, the Remote Internship Evaluation Form (word) (pdf) must also be filled in.
3. Research activities done at universities abroad or in Turkey under the supervision of a faculty member can also be evaluated within the EE300/EE400 courses. This includes internships at our university or in our department as well. Research internships can be done by remote working. Note that in addition to the “SP evaluation Form”, the “Research Internship Evaluation Form” (word) (pdf) must also be filled in.
4. The total duration of the classical and remote internships described in items 1 and 2 above must be equivalent to 20 full work days. The total duration of the research internships described in item 3 must be equivalent to 30 full work days.
5. Only one of the EE300 and EE400 internships is allowed to fall within the scope of items 2 and 3 above. This means that at least one of the internships must be a classical internship. This rule does not apply for students expecting graduation in 2022 or earlier.
Precautions against COVID-19
1. Please read here the rules that should be followed against COVID-19 in offices and work places as announced by the Ministry of Health. If you will physically attend your SP work place, please make sure that the SP location that you choose respects these precautions.
2. If you will do an internship by physically attending a work place in Turkey (company or university), in order for your SGK insurance to be issued, you need to provide the following two internship eligibility documents along with your insurance application:
a. Document certifying that you are medically eligible to physically attend your SP institution (Ögrenci muvafakatname): To be signed by you
b. Document certifying that your SP institution follows the rules established by the Ministry of Health (Kurum muvafakatname): To be signed by your SP institution. Note that some institutions may prefer to prepare their own version of the institution eligibility document. As long as these documents give the same information, they will be accepted.
3. If you will do a remote internship, you do not need to provide these internship eligibility documents.
SGK Insurance Application System
The OCW system is now closed as we have reached the end of summer.
Instructions for Paid Summer Practices
If you did your SP in a company in Turkey and you received payment during your SP, you need to do the following after your SP, as soon as you have received all of your payments. (If you did not receive any payment during your SP, do not do anything.)
1. Login to https://ocw.metu.edu.tr/ with your usual student account.
2. Fill in the "Paid SP form questionnaire" under the EE300/400 course. Please fill in all entries carefully. Incomplete submissions with missing entries are immediately rejected by Rektörlük. You may contact the HR department of the company in order to obtain the information regarding the company. If you notice that you made a mistake when filling in the form, you can submit a new one and the latest submission will be taken into account.
3. Download, print, and sign the Paid SP Form (YÖK Katkı Formu) . Upload the scanned copy of the signed form (in pdf format) under the assignment "İşsizlik Fonu Katkısı Bilgi Formu (Paid SP Form)".
4. Upload the bank receipt (in pdf format) showing that you received payment from the company under the assignment "Stajda ücret ödendiğine dair banka dekontu (Bank receipt for paid SPs)".
Internship documents: Download (pdf).
Unemployment fund contribution information form: Download (doc).