METU EEE SUMMER PRACTICE HOMEPAGE
Remote internship evaluation form now available: Download here.
Instructions for studens who got payment during their SP: Please read the section "Instructions for Paid Summer Practices"
SGK documents are now available on e-devlet: When your SGK document is issued, you can access it on e-devlet by following these steps: First, login to https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/ . Type "işe giriş" in the search field. Select "4A İşe Giriş Çıkış Bildirgesi(Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu)" among the search results. Find the line corresponding to your current SP and access your SGK document by clicking on "Belge oluştur."
Work contracts: If you need the SP Committee to sign your work contracts, you can leave them (already filled in by you) to the department's photocopy room (D-120) and collect them in one week. You can also bring them to the office of Elif Vural (C-208), every Friday between 16:00-16:30 to get them signed immediately.
Alternative versions of "Kurum muvafakatname": Note that some institutions may prefer to prepare their own version of the institution eligibility document. As long as these documents acknowledge that their institution complies with the COVID-19 precaution rules set by the Ministry of Health, they will be accepted.
Delays in the SP due to "Bayram": During your SP, if you miss some workdays due to official holidays (bayrams), personal reasons, company holidays, etc., you should compensate for these. Please plan carefully the beginning and end dates of your SP and enter the right dates in the OCW system. If your SGK insurance has already been issued, please contact the SP Commitee (velif-at-metu-edu-tr) for postponing your SP end date.
Department decisions due to COVID-19
The following decisions have been taken by our department for internships to be done between June 6 - October 11, 2020:
1. Classical internships conducted by physically attending the work place will continue to be accepted for evaluation within the EE300/EE400 courses.
2. EE300/EE400 internships can also be conducted by remote working. Note that in this case, in addition to the “SP evaluation Form”, the SP supervisor needs to fill in the Remote Internship Evaluation Form.
3. Research activities done at universities abroad or in Turkey under the supervision of a faculty member can also be evaluated within the EE300/EE400 courses. This includes internships at our university or in our department as well. Research internships can be done by remote working. Note that in addition to the “SP evaluation Form”, the faculty member supervising the research needs to fill in a “Research Internship Evaluation Form”, which will be made available on our website soon.
4. The total duration of the classical and remote internships described in items 1 and 2 above must be equivalent to 20 full work days. The total duration of the research internships described in item 3 must be equivalent to 30 full work days.
5. Only one of the EE300 and EE400 internships is allowed to fall within the scope of items 2 and 3 above. This means that at least one of the internships must be a classical internship. This rule does not apply for 4th year students expecting immediate graduation.
1. Although internships by physically attending the work place will continue to be accepted this summer, for your health and safety, we recommend you to prefer internships by remove working if possible.
2. You can do an internship in the winter break. This can be a classical, remote, or research internship.
3. If you are already working in a company as a candidate engineer, you can present the relevant part of your work for the EE300/EE400 courses as long as your internship duration and the type of your work meet the necessary conditions. However, do not forget that you need to have a full-time SGK insurance during the period that will officially count as your SP period. If you have a part-time insurance already established by your company, you need to cancel your insurance and apply for full-time insurance by following the steps explained below.
Precautions against COVID-19
1. Please read here the rules that should be followed against COVID-19 in offices and work places as announced by the Ministry of Health. If you will physically attend your SP work place, please make sure that the SP location that you choose respects these precautions.
2. If you will do an internship by physically attending a work place in Turkey (company or university), in order for your SGK insurance to be issued, you need to provide the following two internship eligibility documents along with your insurance application:
a. Document certifying that you are medically eligible to physically attend your SP institution (Ögrenci muvafakatname): To be signed by you
b. Document certifying that your SP institution follows the rules established by the Ministry of Health (Kurum muvafakatname): To be signed by your SP institution. Note that some institutions may prefer to prepare their own version of the institution eligibility document. As long as these documents give the same information, they will be accepted.
3. If you will do a remote internship, you do not need to provide these internship eligibility documents.
Important notes about SGK insurance
1. Our university continues to cover SGK insurances for SPs in Turkey at the moment. However, this has been limited to mandatory SPs to be evaluated within the EE300/EE400 courses due to the special circumstances we are in at the moment. The duration of the insurance will be limited to the mandatory internship duration indicated in the above announcements, depending on the type of the internship.
2. SGK insurances of remote internships or research internships are covered, provided that the internship institution is in Turkey and the internship is mandatory (EE300/EE400).
3. SGK insurances of voluntary internships are not covered at this time.
4. Note that the regulations regarding the SGK insurances are established in line with the up-to-date YÖK decisions, so please make sure to check our website regularly for the latest news on these policies.
5. During your SP, if you miss some workdays due to official holidays (bayrams), personal reasons, company holidays, etc., you should compensate for these. For instance, if you miss two days because of bayram, you should postpone the end date of your SP by two days. Please calculate the required beginning and end dates of your SP carefully and enter these correctly when applying for the SGK insurance.
SGK Insurance Application System
We have now moved our SGK insurance application system to the OCW (METU OpenCourseWare) platform. All 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students are registered to the “EE300/400 Summer Internship” course by default. Please note the following:
1. The “EE300/400 Summer Internship” OCW course is created only for the practical purpose of collecting the insurance application information of students. This is not a real “course”. Note that when your internship is over, you still need to get registered to the EE300 or EE400 courses in the Fall semester (or summer school if you are planning to).
2. If you are not planning to do a SP this year, just ignore all the instructions below. You do not have to do anything about the OCW system.
Students who will do a SP this summer should carefully read the information below about “When to apply” and “How to apply” for the SGK insurance.
When to apply for the SGK insurance
The ideal moment to apply for the insurance using the OCW system is within 2-3 weeks before the beginning of your internship. To make the procedure work efficiently, let us follow these ground rules:
1. On the Monday morning of each week, the insurance applications of students beginning their internships within two weeks will be sent to Rektörlük. For example, the list sent on June 22, Monday covers the students with SP beginning dates between June 23 - July 3.
2. For your SGK document to be issued smoothly and on time, you should leave a safety margin of 1 whole week (Monday to Friday) between your application and the beginning of your SP. For example, if your internship begins in the week June 29-July 3, then the ideal moment to apply for the insurance is within the week June 15-June 19, so that your application is sent to Rektörlük on Monday June 22 and your document is issued on time.
3. Please do not apply for the insurance too early (for instance, don’t apply 2 months before!). This is for two reasons:
a. Even if you apply early, Rektörlük does not process insurance applications that start in more than two weeks.
b. There may often be changes in the SP plans of students, such as modifications in the SP beginning dates, cancellation of the SPs, etc. If you have already sent an application, this causes extra work for everyone.
4. Please do not apply for the insurance too late, neither (for instance, don’t apply 5 days before your internship starts!) This is very likely to lead to delays in the preparation of your SGK document and causes extra work for everyone. Remember that the ideal time to apply is 2-3 weeks before the beginning of your SP. Please see also rule 1 above to see when your application will be processed.
How to apply for the SGK insurance
1. First, make sure that you already read the section “When to apply for the SGK insurance” above.
2. To apply for the insurance, first login to https://ocw.metu.edu.tr/ with your usual student account. You should normally be already registered the EE 300/400 course, which you should be able to see under “My courses”. If you fail to see EE 300/400, please send an email to the SP Committee (velif-at-metu-edu-tr).
3. Click on EE 300/400 and you will see a list named “Required Information” in the course menu.
4. If you will physically attend your SP work place:
a. Upload your student eligibility document in PDF format under the link “Ögrenci Muvafakatname”.
b. Upload your SP institution eligibility document in PDF format under the link “Kurum Muvafakatname”.
If you do not know what these mean, please refer to the section “Precautions against COVID-19” above. Please note that due to COVID-19 this summer, for students physically attending the work place, without these eligibility documents internships are not allowed and SGK insurances will not be done.
5. Click on “SGK Insurance Application”, which takes you to a questionnaire where you must enter your identity and company information. If you will physically attend your work place, make sure that you first uploaded both eligibility documents before taking the questionnaire. Do not forget to click on “Submit Questionnaire” when you finish.
6. If you have successfully completed all these steps, then your application is done. You will not receive any notification or confirmation when your application is sent to Rektörlük, and you will still be able to view your application on the OCW system. This is normal since we use the “questionnaire” structure to collect your data and answers remain accessible.
7. Your SGK insurance document will be available on e-devlet typically 2-3 workdays before the beginning of your SP. You can access your document on e-devlet by following these steps: First, login to https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/ . Type "işe giriş" in the search field. Select "4A İşe Giriş Çıkış Bildirgesi(Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu)" among the search results. Find the line corresponding to your current SP and access your SGK document by clicking on "Belge oluştur."
Emergency applications: If for some reason your internship starts soon (there are no Mondays between the current date and your SP beginning date) and you were not able to apply to the OCW system on time, please fill in the excel file provided here with your internship information in soft format. Email the document to velif-at-metu-edu-tr with the subject line
Insurance application SP beginning dd.mm.2020
providing the day and month of the beginning date of your SP. Please also send the signed and scanned copies of the two eligibility documents in a separate email if you will physically attend the work place. Remember that you are normally supposed to use the OCW platform and you should not resort to this emergency solution unless you have a very valid reason.
After applying for the SGK insurance
1. What to do if you notice you made a mistake in your “SGK Insurance Application” questionnaire:
a. Calculate if your application has already been sent to Rektörlük or not: Simply check rule 1 in “When to apply” above.
b. If your application has not been sent to Rektörlük yet: Enter a new questionnaire with the correct information. Please do not contact us. The most recently filled version of the questionnaire will be taken into consideration and the older versions will be ignored.
c. If your application has already been sent to Rektörlük: Contact the SP commitee (velif-at-metu-edu-tr)
2. What to do if your internship is cancelled: Contact the SP commitee (velif-at-metu-edu-tr)
3. What to do if your internship is approaching and your SGK document is not ready yet: Rektörlük issues SGK documents typically 2-3 workdays before the beginning of the SP, and they become immediately available on e-devlet. If there are still at least 2 workdays until your SP beginning date, this is normal, please wait. If your SP begins the next workday and your SGK document is still not accessible, contact the SP committee in the morning (e.g. contact on Friday morning if your internship begins on Monday)
Instructions for Paid Summer Practices
If you did your SP in a company in Turkey and you received payment during your SP, you need to do the following preferably within 10 days after the end of your SP. (If you did not receive any payment during your SP, you do not need to do anything.)
1. Login to https://ocw.metu.edu.tr/ with your usual student account.
2. Fill in the "Paid SP form questionnaire" under the EE300/400 course. Please fill in all entries carefully. Incomplete submissions with missing entries are immediately rejected by Rektörlük. You may contact the HR department of the company in order to obtain the information regarding the company. If you notice that you made a mistake when filling in the form, you can submit a new one and the latest submission will be taken into account.
3. Download, print, and sign the Paid Summer Practice Form . Upload the scanned copy of the signed form (in pdf format) under the assignment "İşsizlik Fonu Katkısı Bilgi Formu (Paid SP Form)".
4. Upload the bank receipt (in pdf format) showing that you received payment from the company under the assignment "Stajda ücret ödendiğine dair banka dekontu (Bank receipt for paid SPs)".
Internship booklet files (including internship evaluation forms) in soft format